18.0.0 feedback

Loving v18.0.0! The new keyboard shortcut hints at the top are awesome. I actually didn’t know how to select an entry for editing instead of running it immediately before today’s update, so I’m thrilled to know the shortcut for that now. I also haven’t been able to figure out what the shortcut is to directly run a command entry by number; I see the number column on the left, but I can’t seem to decipher how to use it. Would be cool to add a hint for that as well!

One other thing, the new Inspector view sounds fantastic. I have a short inline height set, though (15 lines max height), and this causes the inspector view to be too small to be usable when opened:

I think it would be ideal for the inspector view to have a separate minimum height that prevents it from being too squished, no matter what your search height is.

Oh, and one other thing: I would love to be able to do atuin config to open up the config file in my default editor.

Thanks for making this great tool!

1 Like

Although I do not use atuin stats or can see myself poring over Inspector graphs (I am just not interested in the stats), I appreciate how much effort must have gone into the Inspector feature. :+1:

1 Like

Welcome to the forum @Cldfire!

Thank you! Appreciate the kind words :slight_smile:

See: Key Binding | Atuin Docs

It is also written at the top of the README :sweat_smile:

The issue we need to balance is that with too many hints, one/both of two things will happen

1. People will just not read it
  2. It’ll be clipped off by other UI elements in a smaller terminal

Unfortunately there’s not a whole lot we can do there. If you’d like to be able to see more information, you’ll have to increase your inline_height.

Some context

inline_height renders in the terminal that’s already there. If we switch between sizes on changing tabs, it will leave behind rendering artifacts. It would also feel pretty jarring, even if it did work. You can see similar artifacts when resizing your terminal a bunch.

I’m probably going to be removing the graphs from the inspector and putting them elsewhere, because there’s too many limitations with the terminal as-is, especially when people set inline_height.

It’s unlikely to be atuin config (I’d like to use that for something else), but sounds good like it would be good for an arg/flag here

Thank you for your suggestions and feedback! Really appreciate it :pray:

I want to echo Jarek’s sentiment on how wonderful and useful a tool atuin is. Thank you for making and improving it.

I’m probably going to be removing the graphs from the inspector and putting them elsewhere,

Please don’t totally remove graph feature because of a corner-case with short inline heights. I still find it useful. My feedback would be to differentiate the counts from the error codes. For small numbers, it’s hard to tell which is which.

I would like to add that it would be more useful to have a list of commands (maybe around 5 or so) in the Previous command and Next Command box to give more context about what was being done when that command was run. This is especially helpful if there were some related folder paths in the history that you needed to know in order to run that command.

I see the number column on the left, but I can’t seem to decipher how to use it.

This is the real reason I am on this forum. We can’t be the only people struggling with this. Unfortunately, it’s not very intuitive. I looked at the README and the line quick-jump to previous items with Alt-<num> doesn’t link the sliding window of numbers on the left to this feature. At least it didn’t for me.

Please make a hint at the top to address this. This is arguably more important than the inspect feature which you do have a hint for. What’s worse, is that the Alt+number combination doesn’t work on a Mac and makes a special character instead. I don’t want to have to install some keybinding remapper app just to get this to work. The long-winded workaround for me involved keymapping every Alt+number combination to an Escape Sequence in my iTerm2 settings. Only then, could I get it to finally work.

Please either change that keybinding, or at least make a tooltip at the top to help. I doubt anyone would guess the Alt+number trick just from looking at it.

Thank you again for your efforts in maintaining this utility. Keep up the good work.

1 Like

2 comments re Alt+number on macOS:

Thank you! Glad you like it

They’ll be removed from the inspector, but not removed from the tool entirely. Contexts where the search UI is fine are often too small for the inspector with graphs. Many of the readability issues (numbers on bars etc) are purely because we’re trying to fit a lot of information into too small a space.

I am also considering a GUI for more advanced exploration, as supporting everything I’d like to in a TUI has been a nightmare - endless corner cases, weird input support, etc.

This will significantly increase the information density in the inspector, if we also kept all the charts/etc. Hence I’d like to move them elsewhere and focus the inspector on exploration of commands.

We won’t be adding any more hints to the top I’m afraid, other than one for a help popup.

• more hints = more density, and people tend to ignore dense information. I’m still regularly asked how to edit rather than execute, when it’s listed all over the docs and at the top of the terminal
  • on smaller terminals the help text will just be clipped off the end if it’s too long

@tessus linked some information about that, but there’s a tonne in the issues. It depends on terminal and shell setup, with the initial development I didn’t realise Alt support was so hit-and-miss.

On some Mac terminals it may work out of the box, and on others it will require configuration.

I am actually pretty keen to remove the feature entirely, but I have no idea how widely it’s used. I’d disagree that it’s more important than the inspector

Seeing as you have a fresh perpsective, would you please be able to suggest

1. Somewhere other than the top of the terminal to put the explanation, where people will be likely to read it
  2. An explanation that is more easily understandable

it would be really helpful!